The Town of Waldoboro, under the direction of the Board of Selectmen, is working on a special project to honor Waldoboro residents who dedicate their time volunteering for our community. On April 25, 2015, we will celebrate Waldoboro Volunteers Day. The event will be held at Miller School from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
WE NEED YOUR HELP! We are trying to compile a complete and exhaustive list of individuals who volunteer their time in an effort to better their community. We don’t want to leave anyone out. It doesn’t matter if they are a resident as long as they volunteer their time here in Waldoboro. This letter is being sent out to many organizations that may have volunteers in their staff. We are asking the leaders of the organizations to please help us with our quest. If you could take some time out of your busy day to provide us with as much of the following information as you can, it would be appreciated beyond words:
- A list of the volunteers in your organization,
- A list of other community volunteers you can think of (please list even the obvious - we would rather have the same name show up 100 times, than miss a person), and
- A list of other volunteer organizations that come to mind (in case we missed any, we would like to send them this letter too).
Comprehensive Plan Request for Proposals
The Town of Waldoboro invites qualified consultants to submit proposals to assist the Town’s Comprehensive Plan Committee in preparing an update to the existing Comprehensive Plan. All qualified consulting firms, individual consultants, and planning organizations are welcome to apply.
Proposals should include qualifications of the candidate, with references and should be responsive to the information requested within the scope of services and contract requirements (download full RFP here). Proposal should be delivered to the Waldoboro Municipal Building, clearly marked Comprehensive Plan Proposal no later than 4:30 P.M., Friday, March 13, 2015.
Please submit by mailing 5 printed copies of the proposal to:
- Planning & Development Director
- Emily B Reinholt
- 1600 Atlantic Highway, PO Box J
- Waldoboro, Maine 04572
Proposals must be received on or before Friday, March 13, 2015 to be considered, Thank You.
Youth Basketball (K-2)
The Waldoboro Recreation Department is accepting registrations for the K-2 youth basketball program. The program is open to boys and girls in Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade. Players will meet on Monday's & Wednesday's from 4:30pm to 6pm beginning Wednesday January 28th and continuing through March 25th at the Miller School gym in Waldoboro. The focus of the program is to teach the basic skills of basketball including ball control, passing, shooting and defense. Scrimmages will be worked in as the season progresses. Cost of the program is $25 for Waldoboro residents and $35 for non-residents. Coaches are needed.
Registration forms are available at the Waldoboro Town Office or online at www.waldoboromaine.org Completed forms and payment may be dropped off at the Waldoboro Town Office or mailed to the Waldoboro Recreation Department, P. O. Box J, Waldoboro, ME 04572. For more information, or if interested in coaching, please contact Kyle at 832-5369 x308.
Winter Parking Ban
The annual winter parking ban is from November 1st until April 1st. The Ordinance reads as follows:
- No vehicle shall be parked at any time on a public way so as to interfere with snow removal or street sweeping operations.
- No vehicle shall be parked on any street in the Town of Waldoboro between the hours of 12:00 O'clock midnight and 7:00 O'clock A.M. from November 1st until April 1st. This shall not apply to physicians on emergency and professional calls.
Recycle Bins for Sale
The Town Office is carrying recycle bins for your convenience. Just like our compost bins, we will be passing these onto you at COST, if you choose to purchase them. You do not have to be a resident to purchase these.
We are stocking these recycle bins in response to many comments from residents who are looking for an easy way to sort their recyclables at home. Remember… recycling is required at the Transfer Station whether you bring your trash there or have someone else do it for you.
These bins are space saving, stackable (with or without the cover on), and have an easy access front flap which can stay open if desired. Each bin is 24” x 18” x 17”.
Set of 3 bins is $42.00 ‘cash and carry’ while in stock. These bins are in stock for your viewing. Stop into the Town Office or call us (832.5369) for more details.
Some Waldoboro Facts
The Town of Waldoboro, per the 2010 census, has a population of 5,075. There is a total land area of 73 square miles, making it one of the largest towns in the area. The total water area is around 7 square miles.
There are 103.18 miles of roads:
- 12.55 miles of State highways (maintained year round by the State),
- 29.97 miles of State aid roads (plowed by the Town and maintained by the State),
- 47.87 miles of paved Town roads (maintained year round by the Town),
- 9.79 miles of gravel roads (maintained year round by the Town), and
- 3.00 miles for the transfer station and parks (maintained year round by the Town).
The fiscal year 2013 total property valuation is $509,128,000 representing 3,042 parcels at a tax rate of $13.50 per $1,000 valuation. The municipal appropriation is $3,650,446.
CLICK HERE for more Waldoboro facts.